Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This has been a family favorite for years. I am always told for a family picnic "bring your potato salad!" I think it originated from a Hellmann's ad but I only use Kraft mayo.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (not from concentrate)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked cubed peeled potatoes (5 to 6 medium I cook the potatoes in the microwave with the skins on, let them cool and then peel)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Combine first 5 ingredients.
- Add peeled and cubed potatoes.
- Add remaining ingredients, adding chopped eggs last.
- Cover and chill (I always sprinkle this with a little paprika before covering).
Dear Joan in CNY: I made your potato salad and it was very good! My husband especially liked it. Your ingredients measured out nicely. The flavors blended well also. I did not substitue anything, but followed the recipe exactly and I would make this potato salad again. I did not give it the highest rating, as I still remember that PS in the 70's that was still the best I have ever had, but yours sure ranks up there! Thanks!
Very good potato salad. It was creamy and delicious. I liked the flavor of lemon juice, I usually only use vinegar in potato salads. I added some grated carrot to the salad. It was a big hit! Thanks for posting it Joan.