A classic, simple potato salad that can be thrown together in minutes or made a day ahead! A comfort-food treat for all ages, and easy to change to your preferences (I leave out the eggs for my sister; you could add celery or onion in step 3 or use specialty mustard or vinegar).
- Mix mayonnaise, mustard, and pickle relish until uniform in color and texture.
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt, and celery seed and mix thoroughly.
- Pour sauce over potatoes and eggs; mix gently until potatoes and eggs are evenly coated. (I suggest adding the sauce half at a time so that you can add only enough to coat the potatoes and not have soupy salad!).
- Put potato salad into serving bowl and garnish as desired with sprinkled paprika (to taste), reserved slices of egg, etc.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 days; serve cold.
- This recipe may be made vegan by omitting eggs and substituting vegan mayonnaise.