Cucina Casalingo's Note:
Satisfying comfort dishes that are simple to prepare. Great as a side dish, or as a main dish with a salad on the side. If you want to make less cut the recipe in half and use an 8"x8" or 9"x9" dish. You can also make individual gratin in smaller dishes, you can see that it's flexible. *Chef's note--I used parmesan cheese but the classic French recipe uses Gruyere. It's really your choice as any firm but full body cheese can be used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Coat bottom and sides of 10-12C casserole dish with butter (aprox sizes would be rectangular 9 x 13" or oval 10 x 15") the dish can be ceramic or glass, and the sides should be 2-3" high though deeper will work as well, just not be as full looking.
- 3Rub the cut side of the garlic clove over the bottom and sides of dish.
- 4Place garlic, half and half and cream in a lg. pot.
- 5Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg (any proportion of half and half and cream can be used, even all all of one or the other, these 4C make a very creamy Gratin. You may use up to 1/2 C less if you would like).
- 6Peel a potoato and slice into 1/16" thick slices by hand or with a mandoline.
- 7Place slices directly into the cold cream mixture.
- 8Peel and slice the next potato, add to the cream, and repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- 9Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring almost constantly.
- 10Keep at a low simmer for 5-6 min, stirring, until the mixture thickens.
- 11Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2C Parmesan.
- 12Pour into prepared dish, spreading evenly.
- 13Sprinkly remaining 1/2C parmesan over the top and place into oven.
- 14Bake about 40 Min until mixture is bubbly and the top is a deep golden crusty brown.
- 15Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 min to set.
- 16The gratin will still be warm and hour out of the oven, and can be kept ready to serve in a gently warm oven.
- 17Refridgeate left overs and reheat in the oven or microwave to serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Potato Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 668.2
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 27.8 g
- Cholesterol 150.9 mg
- Sodium 1367.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 21.5 g