Recipe by Cucina Casalingo
Satisfying comfort dishes that are simple to prepare. Great as a side dish, or as a main dish with a salad on the side. If you want to make less cut the recipe in half and use an 8"x8" or 9"x9" dish. You can also make individual gratin in smaller dishes, you can see that it's flexible. *Chef's note--I used parmesan cheese but the classic French recipe uses Gruyere. It's really your choice as any firm but full body cheese can be used.
Top Review by Cook4_6
This was a fairly easy dish to assemble, with great results. I brought it to my neighbors tonight and it got rave reviews. I did not add the additional parmesan cheese on the top, and inadvertantly baked it with the lid on...still creamy and delish! Definitely a keeper!
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 lbs russet potatoes (about 6 medium, scrubbed)
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat bottom and sides of 10-12C casserole dish with butter (aprox sizes would be rectangular 9 x 13" or oval 10 x 15") the dish can be ceramic or glass, and the sides should be 2-3" high though deeper will work as well, just not be as full looking.
- Rub the cut side of the garlic clove over the bottom and sides of dish.
- Place garlic, half and half and cream in a lg. pot.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg (any proportion of half and half and cream can be used, even all all of one or the other, these 4C make a very creamy Gratin. You may use up to 1/2 C less if you would like).
- Peel a potoato and slice into 1/16" thick slices by hand or with a mandoline.
- Place slices directly into the cold cream mixture.
- Peel and slice the next potato, add to the cream, and repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring almost constantly.
- Keep at a low simmer for 5-6 min, stirring, until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2C Parmesan.
- Pour into prepared dish, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkly remaining 1/2C parmesan over the top and place into oven.
- Bake about 40 Min until mixture is bubbly and the top is a deep golden crusty brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 min to set.
- The gratin will still be warm and hour out of the oven, and can be kept ready to serve in a gently warm oven.
- Refridgeate left overs and reheat in the oven or microwave to serve.