Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Classic Potato Gratin
Make and share this Classic Potato Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rub bottom and sides of shallow baking dish with garlic.
- Mince remaining garlic and set aside.
- Once garlic in dish has dried, about 2 minutes, spread dish with half the butter.
- Bring half-and-half, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne , potatoes, and reserved garlic to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon.
- Reduce heat and simmer until liquid thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Pour potato mixture into prepared dish; shake dish or use fork to distribute potatoes evenly.
- Gently press down potatoes until submerged in liquid; dot with remaining butter.
- Bake until top is golden brown (basting once or twice during first 45 minutes) for about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes and serve.