Recipe by LEG's Mom & Dad
Also known as French dauphinois or Yankee scalloped potatoes. The potatoes are thinly sliced with a burnished crust.
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch fresh nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/8 inch thick
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Rub bottom and sides of 6-cup gratin dish with garlic. Mince garlic and put aside. Wait about 2 minutes and spread about half the butter into dish.
- Bring half-and-half, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne, potatoes, and garlic to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Pour potato mixyure into prepared dish and distrbute potatoes eveny Gently press down potatoes until covered by liquid and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake until top is golden brown (basting once or twice during first 45 minutes) about 1 hour 15 minutes.