Pot roast like I fondly remember from Sunday dinners at home. This is from Food and Wine magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 lb) chuck eye pot roast, tied
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, m chopper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 lb white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 lb large carrot, sliced diagonally 1/2-inch thick
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with 2 tbsp. water
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Tie thyme and parsley sprigs together with bay leave using butcher twine.
- 3Season roast with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
- 4In a medium, enameled cast-iron pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the roast; cook over moderate heat, turning, until browned all over, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 5Add onion and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the broth and herb bundle and bring to a boil. Return meat to pot, cover, and transfer to the oven. Braise for 2 1/2 hours or until tender, turning once, halfway through.
- 6Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until golden, about 8 minutes.
- 7Transfer the roast to a plate. Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl; discard the solids. Skim off the fat and return the liquid and meat to the pot. Add the mushrooms, carrots, and potatoes. Cover and braise in the oven for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- 8Transfer the roast to a work surface. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a deep serving platter; cover. Boil the liquid until reduced to 3 1/2 cups. Stir the cornstarch slurry and whisk it into the simmering liquid until thickened.
- 9Remove the strings from the roast and cut into thick slices, arrange on the platter and pour the sauce on top.
- 10Serve with buttered noodles and prepared horseradish.
- 11Beer-Braised Pot Roast: Before adding onions, cook 12 oz bacon; transfer half to a plate. Replace 1 cup of broth with 12 oz. amber ale. Omit mushrooms and carrots; replace potatoes with parsnips cut 3/4" thick and cook for 45 minutes. Garnish with reserved bacon.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 730.7
- Calories from Fat 438
- Total Fat 48.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 154.2 mg
- Sodium 179.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 45.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs