1/16 Photos of Classic Pommes Boulangère - French Gratin Potatoes
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
This classic French potato gratin dish literally translates as "Potatoes in the Style of the Baker's wife". The story is, that in the past, a French family would prepare these potatoes and then take them to the local boulangerie, the baker, to be cooked in the even heat of his oven, hence the name. Any sort of good quality stock will do, chicken, lamb, beef or vegetable. For a richer taste, a ratio of 50% hot stock and hot milk/cream can be used. If using lamb stock, it is nice to sprinkle the top of the potatoes with fresh Rosemary, and I often add a sprig of thyme to my potatoes when baking them. I have found that melted butter gives a better result than dotting butter, no burned and upturned edges anymore!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to 150C/300F/Gas mark 3.
- 2Butter a large shallow ovenproof dish.
- 3Peel potatoes thinly, do not rinse.
- 4Peel and slice the onions thinly.
- 5Using a mandolin slice if possible,slice the potatoes very thinly, again do not rinse.
- 6Arrange the potatoes over the base of the dish slightly overlapping, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and then add the sliced onions.
- 7Continue until all the potatoes & onions are used up, ending with a potato layer.
- 8Pour over the hot stock.
- 9Brush with the top of the potatoes with the melted butter.
- 10Place the potatoes on the high shelf of the oven for 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs or until tender and the top layer is a crisp golden brown.
- 11Serve immediately with roasted meats, as an alternative to roast potatoes, or with a pot roast, hot-pot and vegetables.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Pommes Boulangère - French Gratin Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.4
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 59.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: