Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I LOVE platanos and found a good recipe, so I had to share it and post for safe-keeping. I like these with sour cream a lot, and also with tamarind-date sauce. FYI-- don't use ripe bananas for this. The red/brown skinned plantains (maduros, sweet plantains) are the best. If you don't have those available near you, use large green-tipped bananas / green plantains that aren't very sweet.
- Peel the plantains then cut them into rounds.
- Put the lemon juice in a bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks until thick and light in another bowl. Add flour and salt and mix.
- Beat egg whites in yet another bowl until stiff then blend with the yolks.
- Peel and split the plantains lengthwise. Cut each piece in half and dip in lemon juice, shaking off any excess.
- Drop the lemoned plantain pieces into the batter, one at a time.
- Pick up with slotted spoon and slide gently into the hot mixed oil.in a heavy skillet (oil about 1 inch deep).
- Cook over medium heat, turning almost immediately.
- Cook until browned on both sides then drain on paper towels.