Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you would like to spice this up a bit you can add a dash of garlic juice or puree or worcestershire sauce. Also green onion or hot sauce instead of cayenne. Spread this on thickly on bread, toast or inside celery sticks.
- 2 cups finely shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (preferably parmigiano-reggiano cheese)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated shallots or 1 tablespoon yellow onion
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained (liquid reserved)
- ground cayenne pepper
- dry English-style mustard
- Combine half the Cheddar and half the Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Mix together lightly. Knead in 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise until mixture is creamy and very smooth.
- Work in remaining cheese, garlic, shallot, pimientos, 1 tablespoon of reserved pimiento liquid, a dash of cayenne and a small pinch of dry mustard. Knead just enough to mix well: it should still have plenty of texture. Add remaining mayonnaise, if necessary—just enough to make it spreadable.
- Let stand 30 minutes. Serve cool or at room temperature.