Mom used to make this classic dish, and every now and then I enjoy having it for a side dish. It certainly is nothing fancy and I have updated it a bit, but I still love it. This recipe makes 4 cups or 8 servings, so you can easily cut this in half if you want. It is just one of those nice comfort foods.
My Private Note
1/2 cup ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups cooked rice (I prefer long grain, but use anything you want)
- 6 scallions, fine chopped (whites and green)
- 1 celery rib, leaves included very fine diced
- 2 (4 ounce) jars pimientos, un-drained (diced)
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 1/2-2 cups mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch celery salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1Rice -- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- 2Pimento Mix -- Add the remaining ingredients to the rice and mix well. I start out with 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise, if you prefer it creamier you can add more. I prefer it less creamy, but that is just my taste. Put it back on low heat for 1-2 minutes, just to heat everything through.Taste again for any additional seasoning, salt or pepper.
- 3Serve -- ENJOY! No garnish needed, this is just a nice comforting side dish.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Pimento Rice
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.3
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 360.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: