Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Pesto can be made through step 1 and stored in freezer. To serve, remove pesto from freezer and let thaw and warm to room temperature, then fold in cheese and salt. Pesto is delicious with chcken, fish, or steamed vegetables (and, of course, on pasta).
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 1 large garlic cloves or 2 small garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (packed, with some stems)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt (to taste)
- Place pine nuts and garlic in food processor; process until finely chopped. Add half the basil and process until coarsely chopped. Add remaining basil. With machine running, pour oil in thin, steady stream through feed tube.
- Transfer pesto to mixing bowl and fold in cheese and salt with spatula. (This will make enough to sauce pasta for 6.).
A great way to use the last of my basil before it freezes! I used half on pasta and froze half for later. Thanks! Made for winning in Tic Tac Toe!
This is the best!!! I didn't have as much basil as I'd like because if I packed it down like the recipe said to, I had only 1 cup but it still worked out great. I put an extra garlic clove in and 1/16 tsp salt. Used this for Gourmet Pesto Pizza. Thanks for posting!!