Recipe by senseicheryl
This is from www.kingarthurflour.com Website: An all-time favorite, these cookies are perfect after school with a glass of cold milk. Our guarantee: These golden-blonde cookies are slightly soft and mildly chewy (rather than crunchy), with satisfying peanut butter taste.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- Beat together the shortening, sugars, egg, vanilla, and peanut butter until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt to the peanut-butter mixture, beating gently until everything is well combined. Add enough water to make a cohesive dough.
- Drop the cookie dough by tablepoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets (a tablespoon cookie scoop works well here), leaving 2" between them.
- Use a fork to flatten each cookie to about 1/2" thick, making a cross-hatch design.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes, until they're barely beginning to brown around the edges; the tops won't have browned. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.