Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
***Update: This is the Crab Cake recipe used for building the Nutty for New England Naughty but Nice Crab Burger for one of the challenges in the Spring 07 Zaar Tour world! I have lived most of my life near the Chesapeake Bay and spent many summers in Maryland as a child. This is the original recipe that was on the back of the Old Bay can. This version contains baking powder which helps make the crab cakes light and fluffy. We have always added a little lemon juice and browned them in butter which I feel really brings out the flavor and absolutely makes these. Try refrigerating the shaped patties 30 minutes to help keep them together when cooking, This is a Summertime favorite of ours served with Corn on the Cob and Coleslaw!
- 1 slice bread, dried and crusts removed
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 lb fresh crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Break bread into small pieces and moisten with milk. Add remaining ingredients. Shape into patties.
- Refrigerate the patties 30 minutes to help keep them together when frying.
- Fry until golden-brown on both sides.
I used lump crabmeat because I like more crab than breading in my cakes. We had them as appetizers along with boiled Maine lobsters with drawn butter. This was a great beginning to an exceptional meal! Thank you!
I made this for *Zaar World Tour III* - This is my first time making crab cakes, I followed the recipe as written but had to substitute the Old Bay Seasoning with Old Bay Seasoning(Copycat) (it's not available in my region). Used the crab cakes for Nutty for New England Naughty but Nice Crab Burger - Thank you Little Bee
This is one great crab cake, I am so glad I got to taste this, as well as make it. Easy to put together, and delicious as well. This recipe for crab cakes sets all apart from the others. The addition of baking powder is terrific, as it gives a wonderful light texture. I will use this recipe from now on. Thanks Little Bee~for one terrific recipe.