Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In ‘The Everything Cookies and Brownies Cookbook’
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Beat together shortening and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, vanilla, and water.
- Combine dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture.
- Add any optional ingredients, fold inches.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- Allow to cook 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to rack.