1/1 Photo of Classic Mutton/ Lamb Stew Made Like Bengali’s (Bengali Man
1 hr 35 mins
West Bengal is a state in India, which is full of culture and mouthwatering culinary delights. A Bengali mutton curry is a gastronomic delight. In fact it is a mutton stew, which is to absolutely die for. This one can never fail the tasting critics too :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g mutton, thigh portion curry cut pieces
- 4 large potatoes
- 150 g onions
- 1 inch piece gingerroot
- 6 -8 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 -4 green cardamom pods
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons mustard oil, if available or 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 -2 cup water
- 2Blend together the ginger, garlic and approximately 100 gm onion.
- 3Mix the meat with onion, ginger, garlic paste, turmeric, chili powder, salt and 2 tbsp mustard oil.
- 4The meet marinated for 45 mins to an hour.
- 6Finely chopped the remaining onion.
- 7Peel the potatoes and cut in quarters, or else keep them whole if not too large.
- 8Heat the remaining mustard oil in a pressure cooker.
- 9Fry the chopped onion till crisp and golden brown.
- 10Drain oil from the fried onions and keep aside.
- 11Lower the flame and add the sugar. Keep stirring till all the sugar is dissolved and the oil turned red.
- 12Add the cardamon, cinnamon and bay leaves and fry for half a minute.
- 13Add the meat and marinade and fry on a high flame till the spices are all fried and the oil separates.
- 14When frying this entire marinate and meat, add 3 to 4 tbsp warm water to prevent sticking to the sides.
- 15This will take about 30 to 35 minutes.
- 16Add the potatoes and warm water.
- 17Check and adjust the seasoning.
- 18Take all of this in a Pressure cooker on a low flame, and wait for the 3rd whistle. Turn off the flame and keep the lid on till the pressure reduces on its own.
- 19Open the lid and check the tenderness of the meat. If you need it to be more tender, you can turn on the heat and wait for 1-2 whistle (generally 3 whistles work fine for me).
- 20PS: If a Pressure Cooker is not available, then it needs to be slow cooked in a casserole on medium flame for 1 and half hour with a closed lid, and check if the meat is tender. Garnish with the fried onions (kept aside initially) and serve with hot rice. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Mutton/ Lamb Stew Made Like Bengali’s (Bengali Man
Serving Size: 1 (623 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 865.2
- Calories from Fat 423
- Total Fat 47.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 136.3 mg
- Sodium 720.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 40.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods