Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Once you know how to make this sauce, you will want to put it on top of everything. The wine and the shallots especially bring out the flavors of meat and poultry. This sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days. Rewarm over low heat before serving.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown stock or 1 1⁄4 cups beef bouillon
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallots or 1⁄4 cup scallion
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove it from the heat and whisk in the flour a little at a time until smooth.
- Return to low heat and, stirring constantly, cook until mixture turns golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the mushrooms, shallots, and wine and combine.
- Heat through and add pepper to taste.
This sauce was great, but i did make slight changes to it. I threw in the shallots and 3 cloves of garlic after melting the butter. And I increased the red wine to 1/2 cup. other than that I made it as is, and it was great. Thank you for the easy recipe. I served it with beef steak.