Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
Once you learn how to make this sauce, you will want to put it on top of everything! Steak, roast beef, meat loaf, veal, chicken, turkey, pot roast, baked potatoes, egg noodles all are enhanced when topped with this classic sauce. The recipe comes from Chef Sallie Williams.
Top Review by ItalianPrincess3
Great sauce recipe Greg! I used this to go with my roast this weekend and it was excellent! I make balls of flour and butter to have handy when I make gravies and sauces, so I used 2 of those in this recipe. Worked great! Thanks. Alexa
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour (I use Wondra.)
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef bouillon or 1 1⁄4 cups brown stock
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, minced
- 1⁄4 cup shallots or 1⁄4 cup scallion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red wine, drinkable
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove it from the heat and whisk in the flour a little at a time until smooth.
- Return to low heat and, stirring constantly, cook until mixture turns golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the mushrooms, shallots and wine. Combine.
- Heat through and add pepper to taste.
- This sauce will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days, maximum. Re-warm over low heat before serving.