The dressing is a classic vinaigrette dressing that can be used again and again!
Make and share this Classic Mixed Green Salad With Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed through a press
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large ripe beefsteak tomato, cut int eighths
- 1 seedless cucumber, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- to Make Vinaigrette:.
- In medium bowl whisk all the ingredients except the oil until mixed. Gradually whisk in the oil until smooth.
- In a small bowl, cover the onion with iced water and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain well. (Soaking the onion removes the sharp bit).
- In a large bowl, place the lettuce, drained onions, tomato and cucumber and add the dressing a little at a time, tossing gently and thoroughly until all the vegetables are evenly coated. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately on chilled salad plates.