1/1 Photo of Classic Minestrone
This is a wonderful Italian soup that has been perfected over the years by my family (note that we are not Italian). It's easy, fresh and light. Just perfect for brunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup green beans, halved
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 1/4 cups vegetable stock or 6 1/4 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans
- 2 ounces macaroni
- salt and pepper
- finely grated parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1Place the first 6 ingredients into a large saucepan and heat until sizzling, then cover, lower the heat and sweat the veggies for 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
- 2Add the stock or water, tomatoes, herbs and seasoning.
- 3Bring to a boil, replace the lid and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- 4Add the canned beans and their liquid together with the pasta and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- 5Check the seasonings and serve hot, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley, if using.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Minestrone
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.3
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 346.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: