Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
The homemade version of the red tomato flavored rice found at Mexican restaurants everywhere.The soaking and frying are classic methods to keep the grains seperate.You may omit the soaking if you wish to save time,but don't skip the frying.Frozen green peas,quickly defrosted under hot water are easy and taste better than canned peas.You can add corn kernels,blanched green beans,etc.according to what your family likes,but the peas and carrots are essential.I don't usually make this with cilantro but it can be a nice for a change.
- 1 cup raw rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes, finely diced (2 medium tomatoes)
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 3 cups chicken broth (preferably home made)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced (optional)
- Covere the rice in hot water and set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
- Rub the rice,squeezing it to extract the starch.Drain,discarding the water.
- Rinse the rice in cold water,drain thoroughly ,and spread out on a cookie sheet or towel to dry for about one hour.
- Smash the garlic with the back of a knife and work to a paste.Chop/dice all vegetables according to the sizes indicated.
- Heat the oil in amedium pot over medium heat.Add the rice and fry,stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.Reduce the heat slightly ,add the garlic.and onion,and continue frying until the onion is tender,being carefull that it doesn't burn.
- Add the tomatoes,including all of their juices and the carrots.Cook until the tomato begins to soften.
- Add 1 cup of the broth,increase heat ,bringing to a simmer and cook,uncovered,until the broth is absorbed.
- Add the remaining broth,salt to taste,and the peas.Simmer for 3-5 minutes,or until most of the broth is absorbed.
- Cover,reduce the heat to low,and cook for 30 minutes.All of the liquid should now have been absorbed.
- Stir in cilantro,if desired.Serve hot.