Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
BHG,Scott Peacock recipe, adapted as suggested. I happen to love Meat Loaf, and this recipe is one of my all-time favorites.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In large skillet heat butter until melted and foaming. Add onions and celery. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook three minutes, being careful not to brown.
- Sprinkle thyme over onion mixture. Rub garlic and pinch of salt into paste; add garlic. Cook and stir until onions are tender and translucent. Stir in grated carrot; remove from heat. Cool completely. Meanwhile, soak bread in half-and-half. Lightly beat eggs.
- In large mixing bowl combine ground meats, bacon, cooled vegetables, and bread crumb mixture. sprinkle the 1-3/4 teaspoon of salt and the pepper. Using hands, mix until well blended.
- Turn mixture into rectangular baking dish. Using hands, shape into a 9x5 inch loaf. Make shallow indentation around sides.
- For Ketchup Topping: Combine ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar. Spoon over top of loaf. Bake on middle rack for 1 hour or until meat thermometer reaches 155°F Let rest 10 minutes.
This recipe is wonderful. Very moist and flavorful. I would definitely make it again.
One of the tastiest meat loaves I have ever tried. My husband loved it and that is a big recommendation...he is not usually a meat loaf fan. Thank you LeVert.