Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 hrs
America's Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano (or 2 t. dried)
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and minced
- red pepper flakes, a pinch
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar, plus more as needed
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, anchovies, and red pepper flakes and cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and soy sauce into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until sauce is deeply flavored, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Before serving, stir in basil and sugar and season with salt, pepper, and additional sugar to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta.