1/1 Photo of Classic Macaroni and Cheese (America's Test Kitchen)
America's Test Kitchen finds the best way to make ordinary everyday dishes the ultimate. This is a very different and delicious way to make Mac and Cheese with no baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices white bread, torn into rough pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces (cold)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1For the bread crumbs:
- 2Pulse bread and butter in food processor until crumbs are no larger than 1/8 inch, ten to fifteen 1-second pulses and set aside.
- 3For the pasta and cheese:
- 4Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler.
- 5Bring 4 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven over high heat.
- 6Add macaroni and 1 tablespoon salt; cook until pasta is tender; drain and set aside in colander.
- 7In now empty Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat until foaming.
- 8Add flour, mustard, and cayenne and whisk well to combine.
- 9Continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute.
- 10Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to boil, whisking constantly (mixture must reach full boil to fully thicken).
- 11Reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes.
- 12Off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1 teaspoon salt until cheeses are fully melted.
- 13Add pasta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is steaming and heated through, about 6 minutes.
- 14Transfer mixture to broiler safe 9 by 13" baking dish and sprinkle evenly with bread crumb mixture.
- 15Broil until crumbs are deep golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes, rotating pan if necessary for even browning.
- 16Cool about 5 minutes, then serve.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Macaroni and Cheese (America's Test Kitchen)
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 703.3
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 106.6 mg
- Sodium 1665.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 28.6 g