Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very decadent version of mac n' cheese.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, minced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme, fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 cups gruyere or 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, grated
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook the macaroni until it is a couple minutes away from being tender.
- Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Pour milk into small saucepan.
- Attach the bay leaf to the onion half by using the cloves as"tacks".
- Drop the onion/bay leaf/cloves into the milk.
- Simmer milk over med-low heat.
- Melt 1/4 c of the butter in a separate saucepan over med.
- Saute the shallots until tender.
- Add the flour, dry mustard, and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Slowly add the hot milk to the butter mixture, 1/4 c at a time, whisking constantly.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and add the onion.
- Simmer for 20 min.
- Stir often.
- Sauce should be thick and creamy.
- Remove sauce from heat.
- Take out the onion.
- Stir in 1/2 c cheddar and 1/2 c Gruyere/Swiss.
- Add the nutmeg, cayenne, salt, and fresh thyme.
- Transfer the macaroni to a greased casserole dish.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni and mix well.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Dot with the remaining 1/4 c butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes-- Should be browned on top and bubbly when done.
This is so delicious and I wish I could give it 41/2 stars. The only change I will make next time is to add more milk and a little less flour, or maybe I'll just increase the whole milk. I found it a little bit dry. It needed to be a bit creamier. But, this is one of the best mac&cheese I've ever had. I am very critical of mac&cheese since this is my favorite dish of all time. Thanks belkathy!