Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This syrup for lemonade can be doubled or tripled in advance to have enough on hand. Keep syrup refrigerated.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and 1 1/4 cups steaming hot water.
- Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate 1 tablespoon lemon peel (yellow part only) from 2 or 3 lemons.
- Add peel to warm sugar mixture; let cool about 10 minutes.
- Cut all lemons in half and ream enough juice to make 1 3/4 cups.
- Add to sugar mixture.
- Use immediately as syrup for lemonade, or cover and chill up to 3 days.
- To make each serving, add ice cubes, 1/3 cup lemon syrup, and 2/3 cup water; stir.
- Garnish glass rim with lemon slices, or stir slices into lemonade.