Aunt Willie's Note:
From the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. These have earned a permanent spot on my Christmas Cookie Tray. I sometimes skip the glaze and just dust with confectioner's sugar when cookies have cooled. Prep time does not include chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Beat butter until fluffy in a large bowl.
- 2Beat in sugar, egg, lemon extract and lemon rind.
- 3Combine flour, cornmeal and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, mixing well.
- 4Shape dough into a log about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours. (Can also freeze at this point. Frozen dough keeps for 3 months).
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- 6Cut dough into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- 7Bake on greased cookie sheets until cookie just begin to brown at the edges, about ten minutes.
- 8Remove from pan and cool on wire racks.
- 9For glaze, beat butter, confectioner's sugar and lemon juice to make a thin glaze. Drizzle over cooled cookies.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Lemon Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (938 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 86.3
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.8 mg
- Sodium 44.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 0.8 g