Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. These have earned a permanent spot on my Christmas Cookie Tray. I sometimes skip the glaze and just dust with confectioner's sugar when cookies have cooled. Prep time does not include chill time.
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 -2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Beat butter until fluffy in a large bowl.
- Beat in sugar, egg, lemon extract and lemon rind.
- Combine flour, cornmeal and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, mixing well.
- Shape dough into a log about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours. (Can also freeze at this point. Frozen dough keeps for 3 months).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Cut dough into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Bake on greased cookie sheets until cookie just begin to brown at the edges, about ten minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire racks.
- For glaze, beat butter, confectioner's sugar and lemon juice to make a thin glaze. Drizzle over cooled cookies.