Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My own variation. I make everything except the mozzarella from scratch (including the ricotta! see Microwave Ricotta - you will need 3-4 quarts of milk!).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional) or 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ricotta cheese (homemade if you can, about 1 pt)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 lb low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 4 c)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F Heat olive oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Add onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beef and saute until pinkness is gone. Drain and discard excess fat. Make a space in the center of the pan and add tomato paste; stir the paste around the open space until it begins to brown, then stir in meat and onions.
- Drain tomatoes; pour the juice into a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil the juice until syrupy. Process the tomatoes in a blender or with a stick blender until fairly smooth. Add tomatoes and boiled juice to drained beef and onion, along with wine, anchovy paste, basil, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Simmer gently, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend. Remove and discard bay leaves, and set sauce aside.
- Beat egg lightly. Add ricotta, basil and parmesan cheese and stir well to combine.
- Spray a 13x9x3 pan with non-stick cooking spray (13x9x2 will probably boil over!). Spread 1/3 cup of sauce across bottom of pan and top with 3 lasagna noodles. Spread 1/2-3/4 c sauce, 3/4 c ricotta, 1 c mozzarella and 1/4 c parmesan (in that order) across noodles. Repeat this a total of 3 times, using 9 noodles. Place the last 3 noodles on top. Top with remaining sauce, remaining mozzarella and remaining parmesan. Tent loosely with foil and bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20-30 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is beginning to brown. Let rest at room temperature at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.