Recipe by Melanie Murray
This is very good and easy to make. It comes from my 1981 cookbook "Favorite Brand Name Recipes". I have been making this for years. It is a favorite of my family. Please note that I alter some of the ingredients to my taste. I usually add more parsley, oregano, garlic powder, so alter to your taste. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons salad oil (recipe calls for but I do not use) or 2 tablespoons olive oil (recipe calls for but I do not use)
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (shredded or thinly sliced)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large heavy pan, lightly brown beef and onion in oil.
- Add tomatoes (put through blender or cut with edge of spoon), tomato paste, water, parsley, salt, sugar, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook lasagna as directed on package.
- Drain lasagna.
- In 13x9x2-inch baking pan, spread about 1 cup sauce.
- Alternate layers of lasagna, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese, ending with sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes until lightly brown and bubbly.
- Allow to stand 15 minutes; cut in squares to serve.