Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is very good and easy to make. It comes from my 1981 cookbook "Favorite Brand Name Recipes". I have been making this for years. It is a favorite of my family. Please note that I alter some of the ingredients to my taste. I usually add more parsley, oregano, garlic powder, so alter to your taste. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons salad oil (recipe calls for but I do not use) or 2 tablespoons olive oil (recipe calls for but I do not use)
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (shredded or thinly sliced)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In large heavy pan, lightly brown beef and onion in oil.
- Add tomatoes (put through blender or cut with edge of spoon), tomato paste, water, parsley, salt, sugar, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook lasagna as directed on package.
- Drain lasagna.
- In 13x9x2-inch baking pan, spread about 1 cup sauce.
- Alternate layers of lasagna, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese, ending with sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes until lightly brown and bubbly.
- Allow to stand 15 minutes; cut in squares to serve.
This is an excellent recipe. Easy to follow - even for a novice like me. Very good taste and texture. Expedited using pre-cooked oven-ready noodles. Bellisimo.
Made this for my bf and his friends. I'll admit, I was a bit nervous about how it would turn out since I'm cooking for him and his friends. I'm so happy to have found this recipe!!!! Definitely scored me some brownie points =) thanks for sharing!
Yaaayyy!! Thanks Melanie for helping my husband and I w/ our 1st lasagna. It looked so good being put together, and we were praying "please don't disappoint"!! You know, how things can look so good and then... Anyway, I grew up on my mum's lasagna and I love it, but this was great too - less greasy even b/c she uses cheddar. I minorly added a bit more oregano and parsley. We were really happy. So thanks again for sharing and helping us develop our skills. Going in the keeper file! Oh yeah, we used ready for the oven pasta which was fine and worked, but not the same as properly cooked lasagna noodle. :)