Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a classic Kansas City sauce that is a thick, rich and tangy tomato based sauce with molasses and just a hint of vinegar. Thanks to Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City for the recipe.
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a medium pot.
- Slowly bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and place in a container with a very tight seal.
This sauce was delicious and very thick. It was great brushed on the ribs to add flavor and little crust. However, it was too gritty for a BBQ dipping sauce. Awesome!
My hubby's from KC, so I'm always looking for a great BBQ recipe for him. I have to say that we were disappointed with this one. He was raised on Arthur Bryants and this recipe didn't taste the same. It was an ok mild, everyday sauce, but not the KC style he loves.
A terrific, very authentic KC sauce - as good as anything we've had in KC restaurants. Updated to add: As this mellowed in the fridge the flavor just got better and better! I doubt that we'll EVER buy bottled sauce again!