2 hrs 30 mins
Minestra Ingredients Directions Makes 8 servings This is a classic minestrone recipe. Classic minestrone always contains Swiss chard and red kidney beans. The other ingredients are optional, and are a matter of personal taste or choice. Zucchine, summer squash, broccoli, and cauliflower, just to name a few, work well in this recipe. I learned to love greens as a child. When school was out during the summer, I spent two weeks with my grandparents in the country. My grandmother was a former professional cook, and my grandfather always raised a large garden. There was always vegetables galore to choose from. Kale was my favorite. Kale and Swiss chard are in the same family of greens so when I saw a recipe with Swiss chard in it, I immediately decided to make it. I also kept the kidney beans from the recipe that I had, but the other ingredients are my own personal choices. This soup has a rich taste that will delight your palate. Make some and enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb pork fat, chopped
- 2 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and chopped (about 1 1/ 2 pounds)
- 3/4 lb swiss chard leaf, no white part,chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans red kidney beans (drained and well rinsed)
- 1 ham hock, split longways into four equal pieces (about 1/ 2 pound)
- 1 large tomato, peeled,seeded and chopped (about 10 ounces)
- 1/4 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1In a large casserole or soup pot, cook the pork fat over medium-high heat until there is some fat in the bottom of the pot, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 2Then add the potatoes, cabbage, chard, onion, and garlic until the greens are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- 3Pour in the water, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, add the beans, ham or smoked bacon, and tomato, and cook until the beans are tender, 2 to 3 hours.
- 4Add the elbow macaroni and continue to cook until a spoon can stand straight up in the center of the soup, and the pasta is tender--about 15 minutes.
- 5Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Italian Minestrone (Soupe Paysanne)
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 29
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.9
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 4.2 mg
- Sodium 274.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: