1 hr 20 mins
- Carla -'s Note:
This recipe was given to me courtesy of Culinary Herbalist Martha Paul of Martha's Herbary, Pomfret Connecticut. It's Simple, Classic and Delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs vine ripened tomatoes (seeded, peeled & diced)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, sliced thin
- freshly ground sea salt, to taste
- 4 -6 large garlic cloves, depending on your love of garlic
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- French bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin (NOT THE SHREDDED!)
- 1Combine tomatoes and 1/2 cup fresh basil in a colander, sprinkle with salt and toss to coat; let drain 1 hour.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°F
- 3In a large bowl combine the drained tomato/basil mixture with the minced garlic, 1/4 cup olive oil, remaining 1/4 fresh basil, oregano and thyme.
- 4Let stand at room temperature 15 to 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- 5During this time brush French bread slices lightly with the remaining olive oil.
- 6Toast "lightly" in the oven (just a few minutes).
- 7Pull out and place a small amount of tomato mixture on top of the lightly toasted French bread slices.
- 8Top each piece with a small amount of Mozzarella.
- 9Toast in the oven until cheese has melted and its golden brown.
- 10Serve and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Italian Bruschetta With Fresh Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 102.9
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 1.1 g