Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was given to me courtesy of Culinary Herbalist Martha Paul of Martha's Herbary, Pomfret Connecticut. It's Simple, Classic and Delicious!
- 3 lbs vine ripened tomatoes (seeded, peeled & diced)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh basil, sliced thin
- freshly ground sea salt, to taste
- 4 -6 large garlic cloves, depending on your love of garlic
- 1⁄2 cup good quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- French bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin (NOT THE SHREDDED!)
- Combine tomatoes and 1/2 cup fresh basil in a colander, sprinkle with salt and toss to coat; let drain 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a large bowl combine the drained tomato/basil mixture with the minced garlic, 1/4 cup olive oil, remaining 1/4 fresh basil, oregano and thyme.
- Let stand at room temperature 15 to 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- During this time brush French bread slices lightly with the remaining olive oil.
- Toast "lightly" in the oven (just a few minutes).
- Pull out and place a small amount of tomato mixture on top of the lightly toasted French bread slices.
- Top each piece with a small amount of Mozzarella.
- Toast in the oven until cheese has melted and its golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.
Delicious. I missed lunch other day and made some after class. It really got me in the mood to make lasagna that night for dinner. Thanks so much for the recipe!