Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is my adaptation of my father-in-law's Dios Kalacs recipe. He would make this at Christmas. Later in his life he spent much time learning how to make his Hungarian mother's nut roll, which he had enjoyed as a child. It is especially wonderful in the morning warmed in the microwave.
- 118.29 ml milk, warm
- 22.18 ml active dry yeast
- 1419.54-1537.83 ml all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 3.69 ml salt
- 88.74 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml sour cream, room temperature
- 177.44 ml butter, very soft
- 3 eggs, beaten, room temperature
- 59.14 ml butter, for basting before and after baking
- 354.88 ml golden raisins, soaked in warm water 2 to 3 hours
- 473.18 ml pecans, finely chopped or 473.18 ml walnuts, may be used
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml almond extract
- 1 egg white, beaten to soft peaks
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk in large bowl of electric mixer. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add sour cream, butter and eggs to milk mixture and blend well.
- Mix 6 cups flour, salt, and sugar and add to mixture in bowl. Mix untill well combined and dough is easy to handle. Add more flour if dough is sticky to touch.
- Turn dough out onto floured board. Divide into 4 equal portions.
- Make filling:.
- Combine raisins, nuts, sugar and extracts.
- Beat egg white until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg white into raisin mixture.
- Divide filling into 4 equal protions.
- Roll each dough ball to 1/4 inch thickness and spread with 1/4th of the filling. Roll up lenghtwise into jelly roll shape and curve roll. Place on baking sheet with the seam side down. Be sure all edges are sealed. Brush rolls with melted butter
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Take out of oven and brush again with melted butter.