4 hrs 30 mins
Cooking CF's Note:
This is my adaptation of my father-in-law's Dios Kalacs recipe. He would make this at Christmas. Later in his life he spent much time learning how to make his Hungarian mother's nut roll, which he had enjoyed as a child. It is especially wonderful in the morning warmed in the microwave.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup milk, warm
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 6 -6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 cup butter, very soft
- 3 eggs, beaten, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, for basting before and after baking
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm milk in large bowl of electric mixer. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 2Add sour cream, butter and eggs to milk mixture and blend well.
- 3Mix 6 cups flour, salt, and sugar and add to mixture in bowl. Mix untill well combined and dough is easy to handle. Add more flour if dough is sticky to touch.
- 4Turn dough out onto floured board. Divide into 4 equal portions.
- 5Make filling:.
- 6Combine raisins, nuts, sugar and extracts.
- 7Beat egg white until soft peaks form.
- 8Fold egg white into raisin mixture.
- 9Divide filling into 4 equal protions.
- 10Roll each dough ball to 1/4 inch thickness and spread with 1/4th of the filling. Roll up lenghtwise into jelly roll shape and curve roll. Place on baking sheet with the seam side down. Be sure all edges are sealed. Brush rolls with melted butter
- 11Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Take out of oven and brush again with melted butter.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Hungarian Raisin Nut Roll - Dios Kalacs
Serving Size: 1 (2149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2005.4
- Calories from Fat 933
- Total Fat 103.7 g
- Saturated Fat 41.4 g
- Cholesterol 295.6 mg
- Sodium 982.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 243.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 81.0 g
- Protein 36.3 g