Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I recently tried and really liked hummus. So I came up with my own version, loosly adapted from the back of the cumin canister. This is a basic recipe but one that DH and DD liked too. Hope you like it as well.
- 15 ounces chickpeas, canned, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- garlic powder, to taste
- onion powder, to taste
- water, for consistancy
- Put first 7 ingredients in food processor and pulse. May need to add a little water to get to the correct consistancy. I also add just a tad more garlic powder and onion powder for flavor. We like garlic at my house, so that is your preference.
- Chill for 20 to 30 mins and enjoy with cut up vegetables, pita chips or crackers.
I left a message for my sister to stop over for cocktails and dip. I'm glad she called back. I can't tell you the number of times that I've searched for my phone only to have my cleavage vibrate. Oh, there it issssss! Good hummus with a capital O-O-D. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.
Oh very good stuff! I like hummus, but have had problems with it being way too dry. I used my blender and this turned out nice and smooth. I did add a bit more garlic and red pepper for flavor. I served this with some red peppers and celery. I also chopped up some green onions to sprinkle over the top. Made and Reviewed for EveryDay Holiday tag - Thanks! :)
Yum seriously yum! I only added 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper since I wanted some adventurous kid visitors to try this... and they loved it, sadly my less adventourous kids didn't like it at all. I also found that my food processor didn't get it as smooth as I wanted it.. it looked a bit grainy so I transfered to the blender and it was smooth in seconds. I too added more garlic and onion as we thought it needed it ( or we have gotten used to only having a LOT). Over all, an excellent hummus recipe, please see my rating system: 4 excellent stars for an easy and very tasty recipe ( and we will add more pepper next time sans kids) Thanks!