Recipe by Cynna
This is a not your run-of-the-mill salad. Very flavorful and refreshing and the calamari is a scrumptious addition! Posted for Zaar World Tour II '06
Top Review by JanuaryBride
For some reason, we just didn't love this. I felt like the dressing needed to sit for a few hours for the flavors to develop - even with all of that garlic and the fresh herbs it was still bland. And even though I followed the directions with the calamari, they were curled when taken off the skewers. I also didn't care for the calamari after being marinated - I think I would have preferred to just skip that step. Glad I finally made it though, as it has been on my to do list for a while now!
- 20 wooden skewers
- 10 small calamari, cleaned, tentacles removed
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 4 lemon wedges, for garnish
- 4 oregano leaves, fresh, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak 20 wooden skewers in water for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the calamari tubes and pat dry.
- Split the bodies from top to bottom so you have 2 triangular pieces.
- Thread a soaked skewer through the length of each piece. Put the skewers on a platter and set aside.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, dried and fresh oregano, thyme and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Pour 1/2 of the vinaigrette over the calamari; set the other 1/2 aside while you make the salad.
- In a large bowl, add the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, cheese, olives, and romaine.
- Pour the remaining vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine. Let marinate while you grill the calamari.
- Heat the grill or a grill pan and oil it lightly.
- Grill the calamari for 2 minutes on each side, no longer or they will be tough.
- To serve, put the salad onto a large platter and top it with the calamari skewers.
- Garnish with fresh oregano leaves and lemon wedges.