Recipe by Witch Doctor
This has got to be my favorite recipe for a salad! Other than the Greek Salad I got in an Italian restaurant in Moscow, Russia, this salad is the most flavorful. The only standard ingredients of a Classic greek Salad are the olives and the Feta Cheese. All the rest can be varied according to taste. try substituting 1 small head romaine lettuce for the iceberg and endive (I do and love it!). For a Mediterranean-style salad, substitute 1 large can tuna in water, drained and flaked, for the Feta Cheese.
- 1⁄2 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄2 head curly endive lettuce, torn
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 6 large green olives
- 6 large ripe olives
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
For the Dressing
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: Because it is stored in brine, feta cheese can sometimes be quite salty. To reduce the saltyness, rinse the cheese in a colander under cold water, and pat dry before you crumble it.
- Combine lettuce, endive, green pepper, tomato, onion, and cheese in a large mixing bowl. Place on a large platter. Garnish with olives and green onion; arrange cucumber slices around outer edge of platter. Refrigerate.
- For the Dressing:.
- Combine the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper in a jar. Cover tightly and shake well.
- Pour dressing over the salad just before serving.