Recipe by BlueHyacinth
I love lamb, and this is one of my favorite recipes for it. Years ago, I worked in a Greek restaurant and the owner's wife taught me how to make this.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean lamb fillets, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 whole cloves
- salt and pepper
- 1 small bay leaf, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup consomme or 3⁄4 cup water or 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 small turnip, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 cup frozen green beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat and quickly brown lamb on all sides.
- Add tomato sauce, cloves, salt, pepper, bay leaf, consomme or other liquid, lemon juice and garlic.
- Mix well, cover and let simmer 30 minutes.
- Mix onion, carrots, turnip and potatoes with meat.
- Cover and let cook until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle frozen green beans over stew and cook 15-20 minutes.