Classic Fried Catfish With Jalapeño Hush Puppies
- For the catfish, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
- Coat catfish with mixture, shaking off excess.
- Fill large, heavy skillet half full with vegetable oil- Heat to 350ºF.
- Add catfish in single layer, and fry until golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes, depending on size. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serves four.
- For the hush puppies, combine first five ingredients in bowl. Stir in milk and egg until combined.
- Preheat cooking oil to 350ºF in heavy skillet or deep fryer.
- Drop level tablespoons of batter into hot oil.
- Turning hush puppies frequently, cook until golden brown on every side, about 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Yields 2 dozen.