Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From The Catfish Institute, U.S Farm-Raised Catfish.
Classic Fried Catfish
- 4 (6 ounce) catfish fillets
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- vegetable oil
Jalapeno Hush Puppies
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal (or add 2 teaspoons baking powder and 2 teaspoons salt to 1 cup of cornmeal)
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- cooking oil
- For the catfish, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
- Coat catfish with mixture, shaking off excess.
- Fill large, heavy skillet half full with vegetable oil- Heat to 350ºF.
- Add catfish in single layer, and fry until golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes, depending on size. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serves four.
- For the hush puppies, combine first five ingredients in bowl. Stir in milk and egg until combined.
- Preheat cooking oil to 350ºF in heavy skillet or deep fryer.
- Drop level tablespoons of batter into hot oil.
- Turning hush puppies frequently, cook until golden brown on every side, about 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Yields 2 dozen.