Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make and share this Classic Fried Catfish recipe from Food.com.
- Whisk together buttermilk and hot sauce.
- Place catfish in a single layer in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish; pour buttermilk mixture over fish. Cover and chill 8 hours, turning once.
- Combine cornmeal and next 6 ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Let fish stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Remove from buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Dredge fish in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a large, deep cast-iron or heavy-duty skillet; heat to 360°.
- Fry fish, in batches, 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack on a paper towel-lined jelly-roll pan. Keep warm in a 225° oven until ready to serve.
- *All-purpose flour or plain yellow cornmeal may be substituted.
What a wonderful wonderful recipe! I can't believe I am the first one to review it! If you like really good fried fish, this is a must.. you won't find any better.. out of this world thank you so very much for posting this.