Recipe by ChefWhiz
This is excellent with swiss cheese slices. It can be microwaved with cheese easily but broiler is best for charcoal flair.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth or 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large skillet over high heat.
- Add onions.
- Cook and stir 15 minute or until onions are soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in wine.
- Combine onion mixture, beef broth, Worcestershire, salt, and dried thyme in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on Low 4-4 1/2 hours.
- Toast bread slices.
- Ladle soup into 4 individual bowls and top with bread slice and cheese.
- Garnish with fresh thyme if desired.