Recipe by Steve_G
You really haven't lived until you've had home made fries. After the oil is cooled, filter it and reuse. So long as it'd not over heated it will last 5-6 frys.
Top Review by The QC
Outstanding!!! To make them even crispier and less starchy, try soaking them in a sugar solution for a couple of hours before the first fry. 1/3 C sugar to 2 cups warm water. Absolutely fabulous!!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a large dutch oven heat oil to 320 degrees.
- Peel potatoes and EVENLY cut fries into 1/4" x 1/4" strips of equal length.
- Place in a large bowl of cold water as you're slicing.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly, removing any excess water.
- When oil reaches 320 degrees, submerge the potatoes in the oil.
- Working in small batches, fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they are pale and floppy.
- Remove from oil, drain, and cool to room temperature.
- Increase the temperature of the oil to 375 degrees.
- Re-immerse fries and cook until crisp and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and drain on roasting rack.
- Season with kosher salt.
- Once again this is done is small batches and will need to be kept warm in the oven until all potatoes are fried.