Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is great way to get the kids to eat fish. I absolutely love these light and crispy filet pieces sprinkled with plenty of Kosher salt and malt vinegar.
- 4 potatoes
- corn or peanut oil
- 1 lb cod or 1 lb other lean fish fillet
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into ½-inch strips.
- Heat oil (2 to 3 inches or enough to cover) in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill basket one-fourth full with potatoes. (I don't have a basket - I use a Fry Daddy and it works fine. Just be sure and put the chips in one at a time so they don't stick to each other.) Skip the next step if you're not using a basket.
- Slowly lower basket into hot oil. (If oil bubbles excessively, raise and lower basket several times.) Use a long-handled fork to keep potatoes separated.
- Fry potatoes 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Place potatoes in single layer on cookie sheet and keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- Cut fish filets into 2 x 1/-1/2-inch pieces. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix flour and salt.
- Mix baking soda and vinegar.
- Stir vinegar mixture and water into flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- Dip fish into batter, allowing excess batter to drip into bowl.
- Fry 4 or 5 fish pieces at a time (do not use basket) about 3 minutes, turning fish once, until brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Set oven control to broil. Broil potatoes 6 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp.
We really enjoyed this. I did dip the fish in flour before dipping in batter. I only made the fish portion of this recipe with "Hush Puppies Justin Wilson Style". I did add some garlic powder, chili powder and freshly ground black pepper to the batter. I will be using this recipe again. Thank you!
This recipe is so easy to make and sooooo good.<br/>Sometimes I add Indian spices to the flour.
This was wonderful! I think we under cooked the first batch, but every batch after that was fab! The batter was thick crispy and perfect!