Recipe by HappyBunny
This recipe is from Ainsley Harriot's Gourmet Express. It the only one I use to make fish cakes for the family. It's very very easy and a favourite with my kids - the perfect combination for me!
- 450 g floury potatoes, cubed
- 450 g smoked haddock
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100 g white breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water and drain and mash well when tender.
- Meanwhile, place the fish in a saute or frying pan and cover with boiling water; Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until just cooked.
- Drain the fish and remove the skin; Flake the fish with a fork, discarding any bones.
- Mix together the potatoes, fish, boiled egg, chives and salt and pepper; Using your hands, shape the mixture into 4 or 8 even sized cakes.
- Dust the fish cakes with the seasoned flour, dip in the beaten egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs, making sure they are fully covered.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and shallow-fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until crisp and golden.