1/5 Photos of Classic Entrecote Bordelaise - Steak in Red Wine With Shallots
French Tart's Note:
Entrecote Bordelaise is a French classic, impressive yet simple to prepare - it is a very chic way to serve a steak! Here are my easy step by step instructions for a perfect Entrecote Bordelaise! Serve with sauté potatoes or frites and haricots verts......and a good bottle of Saint Emilion, from the little Medieval town just to the east of Bordeaux.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sauté the steaks.
- 2Season the steaks with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the pan to smoking point and add half the butter. Place the steak in the pan and brown it on both sides - give it about two to three minutes on each side to seal it first, then let the meat cook through to your taste. Do both steaks in this way and then set them aside.
- 3Cook the shallots.
- 4In the same pan, (drain excess butter if needed), cook the shallots. Put them in the pan and stir from time to time until they are soft and starting to turn golden.
- 5Deglaze the pan.
- 6When the shallots are done add the red wine to the pan and give it a good stir.
- 7Now, add the demi glace or beef stock to the pan and stir until everything is blended, then leave it to simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced.
- 8Cut the remaining butter into small pieces and add them to the sauce one at a time, mixing so that they melt into the mixture: this will give the sauce a rich flavour and give it an appetising glossy finish,.
- 9Plate the dish.
- 10Cut the meat across the grain into thick slices and arrange them on a plate.
- 11Add some chopped parsley to the sauce, then pour little of the sauce over each steak.
- 12Serve the rest of the sauce in a gravy boat.
- 13You might like to serve it with sauté potatoes, frites and some haricot verts.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Entrecote Bordelaise - Steak in Red Wine With Shallots
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 947.7
- Calories from Fat 520
- Total Fat 57.8 g
- Saturated Fat 32.2 g
- Cholesterol 343.8 mg
- Sodium 544.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 89.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: