This is an easy basic stuffing recipe, that will easily stuff a 12-14 pound turkey, I have stuffed a large roasting chicken also with this recipe. If you have any remaining stuffing just bake in a small buttered baking dish, or you may wish to bake the complete stuffing recipe in a casserole dish in a 325 degree oven, covered for about 25-30 minutes then uncover and bake for about 10-15 minutes more, or until lightly browned on top. For this recipe two (1 pound) loaves of bread is enough, I just use two 400-gram loaves, make certain that the bread is a couple days old but not mouldy, or you can place it in the refrigerator overnight to help firm up for slicing. Now to this basic stuffing you can add in raisins, water chestnuts, pecans etc. If you are serving this to a crowd and baking it in the oven, I suggest to double the ingredients and bake in two separate casseroles. Please use only butter for this stuffing. This is very good, and a recipe that you will use time and again! Just a suggestion, make up an extra unbaked stuffing mixture, it will freeze well in containers or freezer bags to serve later. To reheat, thaw and bake in a greased dish, rather than in the bird at 325°F until golden brown on top.
My Private Note
cups st ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4-1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 14 cups bread cubes (must be stale but still soft and cut into about 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (to taste) or 2 teaspoons rubbed sage (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (you might use more than 1 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries (optional but really good to add)
- 1In a large frypan fry the bacon until crisp; (do not drain the drippings) remove and crumble; set aside.
- 2Add 3/4 cup butter (no less than 3/4 cup!) to the bacon drippings and melt.
- 3Add in chopped celery, onions and garlic; sauté until tender.
- 4Add HALF of the bread cubes to the butter; stir to coat, and keep stirring with a wooden spoon until the bread cubes are lightly browned and the butter is absorbed.
- 5Transfer to a large bowl (or finish in the frypan, if you have a large enough frypan to hold all ingredients) and add in remaining bread cubes, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning or sage (if using).
- 6Add in crumbled bacon and the cranberries or other ingredients that you choose to use; mix to combine.
- 7Drizzle with the chicken broth (mixing with a wooden spoon) until you have reached the desired moistness, you might have to add in more than 1 cup, but do not add in too much or your bread will become too "soggy".
- 8Immediately stuff the turkey, and cook.
- 9**NOTE** the flavor of the stuffing will vary depending on ingredients and type of bread used.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Easy Turkey Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (1501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.0
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 27.7 mg
- Sodium 302.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: