1/2 Photos of Classic Custard Sauce
This is a lovely rich creamy classic custard that is wonderful layered in trifles (see my Strawberries and Cream Trifle), or in goblets with White Wine Jelly (White Wine Jelly), or served with cake and fruit. Superb! I sometimes add the seeds from a vanilla bean for extra richness. Really wonderful. I hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In the bottom of a double boiler, bring one inch of water (water must not touch top pan) to simmer over medium heat.
- 2In the top of a double boiler, beat together egg yolks, sugar, and salt until thick and light-colored. Gradually add half-and-half.
- 3Heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is somewhat thickened and coats a spoon. (Mixture must not come to a boil or it will curdle.).
- 4Remove from heat; add sherry or brandy or vanilla. Chill.
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Custard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.4
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 146.8 mg
- Sodium 50.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 3.6 g