Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a lovely rich creamy classic custard that is wonderful layered in trifles (see my Strawberries and Cream Trifle), or in goblets with White Wine Jelly (White Wine Jelly), or served with cake and fruit. Superb! I sometimes add the seeds from a vanilla bean for extra richness. Really wonderful. I hope you enjoy!
- 6 egg yolks, at room temperature and lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups half-and-half, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine (can substitute brandy or 1 teaspoon vanilla)
- In the bottom of a double boiler, bring one inch of water (water must not touch top pan) to simmer over medium heat.
- In the top of a double boiler, beat together egg yolks, sugar, and salt until thick and light-colored. Gradually add half-and-half.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is somewhat thickened and coats a spoon. (Mixture must not come to a boil or it will curdle.).
- Remove from heat; add sherry or brandy or vanilla. Chill.