Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe comes from the Slow cooker email group on yahoo. The perfect combination of tomatoes, beans and beef. So simple to throw together in the morning and wonderful to come home to.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (14 ounce) can black beans or 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 sweet onion, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chile, diced (optional)
- Brown meat, add garlic and onion. Add chili powder and cumin. Heat through.
- In crock pot mix tomatoes, beans, chilies and paste. Add meat mixture.
- Crock on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
Like the other review said, this is a good base to start with. I made a couple modifications. I also doubled the recipe and found the recipe 'as is' will be a very thick chili. Instead, I used 2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes and added a cup of water to get the consistancy I like. I also added a couple tablespoons of cayenne pepper and salt for taste once it was finished cooking.
This was OK for us. I followed the recipe exactly as written othe then I doubled it. I didn't add the optional chile. This is a very thick chili. We like a thick chili but I do think this is a bit too thick. I think it could use another can of crushed tomatoes. For us, it also needed more chili powder. I didn't like that you added the chili powder in the meat mixture. I don't think it draws through the chili that way. I added another two tablespoons to the mixture. This is a good base but for us needs some changing.