- 1 1⁄3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Spoon flour into measuring cup and level.
- Combine flour and salt in medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening using pastry blender or 2 knives until all flour is blended to form pea-size chunks.
- Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Toss lightly with fork until dough forms a ball.
- Press dough between hands to form 5- to 6-inch"pancake".
- Flour rolling surface and rolling pin lightly Roll dough into circle.
- Trim circle 1 inch larger than upside-down pie plate.
- Carefully remove trimmed dough.
- Set aside to reroll and use for pastry cutout garnish, if desired.
- Fold dough into quarters.
- Unfold and press into pie plate.
- Fold edge under.
- For recipes using a baked pie crust, heat oven to 425°F.
- Prick bottom and side thoroughly with fork (50 times) to prevent shrinkage.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For recipes using an unbaked pie crust, follow directions given for that recipe.